Skip to main content

Labor of Love (!?)


During my last visit to Villa Karizma, located opposite to Amiri Hospital, I stumbled upon a tiny little store  called "My Handmade" with cute necklaces, brooches, shawls, and other adorable stuff.  And then I was baffled to find out that almost everything in store is actually handmade by a local entrepreneur (and that's according to the sales lady!)

So I had to take a closer look at her work and I was amazed to find how meticulous her work is. Just look at these charming mobile accessories and yes the rug too, the details are mind-blowing.   Actually, her meticulousness reminded me a lot of another local handmade brand, which I’d like to refer to as the “pride-and-the-joy” of the local handmade scene, the ibrah girls.  I’m pretty sure that handmade stuff with such quality like these are very time consuming, but are made with love.

It’s obvious that her talent is phenomenal and I’m glad that she opened her own place to share these wonderful creations. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
i passed by and i saw the filippino employee doing the croshet work, im not sure if she did it all or some are done by the local owner as well.
Confashion said…
Anonymous
The items that I saw did not include crochet.. or at least what I have noticed. They were mainly made out of wool threads and heavy wool fabrics. Hmm.. It could be that the employee was just passing her time?
Anonymous said…
i saw the thread-like dolls shown in the 1st 2 pics in a lolcal market at bangkok
Confashion said…
Anonymous
If that's true then it would be such a shame :\ especially that the sales lady insisted that all the things I chose to photograph are handmade by the owner from scratch...
Anyways.. I still think the dolls look cute..
Anonymous said…
i dont knw if she did them but i bought the same key chain the red one from MOMA in NY few yrs back

Popular posts from this blog

Marie Claire Kuwait

Did you know that Marie Claire, an international women's magazine, has been launched in Kuwait and their second issue is already in newsstands? Winner of the Best Women's Magazine and Magazine of the Year award for 2005, the magazine reportedly has over 14 million readers worldwide with 26 editions in 13 languages across the world. Marie Clair - Kuwait is in Arabic of course. The magazine offers an editorial mix of journalism with glamour, fashion and beauty coverage, and feature stories of lifestyle and serious women related issues. All by an Arabic editorial team. Have you read it? If yes, what do you think of it?

Win a TopShop Shopping Spree with Confashions from Kuwait!

How would you like to win a TOPSHOP shopping spree with me? Well my fashion-loving readers, save the date, we are going shopping... together! TOPSHOP is offering one seriously lucky ConfashionsfromKuwit.com reader a TOPSHOP shopping spree worth US$500, and I'll be helping the winner with what to buy and simply giving the winner a quick wardrobe overhaul.   To enter the competition, all you have to do is: Like  TOPSHOP Middle East on Facebook here Follow them on Twitter @Topshop_ME   Leave a comment on this post with your name and e-mail address See?! It's as easy as 1,2,3! A winner will be selected and announced on Tuesday September 16th . 

Chanel Bags on Discount?!

If you thought that getting a cheap Chanel bag that's within your budget is something too far fetched, then think again. You'll be surprised to know that Chanel's boutique located at Salhiya Complex is currently selling several bags, that are a maximum 1 or 2 seasons old, on discount . And we're not talking about a 2 or 5% discount here, these bags are 50% off their original price! For some reason I always thought that Chanel bags never go on sale. But I guess the printed ones or the ones that are made out of the collection's main fabric have to go on sale. Anyways, I managed to take photos of these 2 beauties. What I love about those bags is that they're a classic shape that never goes out of style, their print is young and refreshing, plus they're quilted. I think they could be a collector's item. Both bags featured here are sold for approximately KD 250 .