Skip to main content

Event: Roaming Patterns by Abdulla Al Awadi

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of visiting Kuwaiti artist and trained architect Abdulla Al Awadi's latest solo exhibition titled Roaming Patterns. The exhibition, which was held at Dar Al Funoon, was showcasing adornments, jewelry, prints, caftans, and handbags all re-introduced with Al Awadi's signature Arabic calligraphy and were rich with new pop culture graphic designs.

I think this is the 3rd time that Al Awadi collaborated with Beirut-based designer Sarah's Bag to produce a limited edition of clutches using his signature graphic designs. I liked the ones inspired by Kuwait's marine life as the corals looked striking against the pearl patterns. The caftans are ideal for someone who likes wearing bright silk caftans, they're not my style, but I can see their appeal on some people. My favorite part of the exhibition has to be the accessories. I loved the way he mixed Arabic calligraphy with rosary-like necklaces. I got one for myself, which I'm wearing quite frequently layered up with my everyday necklaces.

Abdulla Al Awadi is a man of many trades. He is a trained architect and currently teaches in the Department of Architecture in Kuwait University. He also designs contemporary clothes, theatrical costumes, jewelry, accessories, indoor and outdoor installations and plastic art. He is also a photographer, a makeup artist, an art director, a choreographer and a lover of poetry.

Unfortunately, the exhibition is already over, but you may contact Dar Al Funoon if you're interested to get in touch with the designer. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marie Claire Kuwait

Did you know that Marie Claire, an international women's magazine, has been launched in Kuwait and their second issue is already in newsstands? Winner of the Best Women's Magazine and Magazine of the Year award for 2005, the magazine reportedly has over 14 million readers worldwide with 26 editions in 13 languages across the world. Marie Clair - Kuwait is in Arabic of course. The magazine offers an editorial mix of journalism with glamour, fashion and beauty coverage, and feature stories of lifestyle and serious women related issues. All by an Arabic editorial team. Have you read it? If yes, what do you think of it?

Win a TopShop Shopping Spree with Confashions from Kuwait!

How would you like to win a TOPSHOP shopping spree with me? Well my fashion-loving readers, save the date, we are going shopping... together! TOPSHOP is offering one seriously lucky ConfashionsfromKuwit.com reader a TOPSHOP shopping spree worth US$500, and I'll be helping the winner with what to buy and simply giving the winner a quick wardrobe overhaul.   To enter the competition, all you have to do is: Like  TOPSHOP Middle East on Facebook here Follow them on Twitter @Topshop_ME   Leave a comment on this post with your name and e-mail address See?! It's as easy as 1,2,3! A winner will be selected and announced on Tuesday September 16th . 

Chanel Bags on Discount?!

If you thought that getting a cheap Chanel bag that's within your budget is something too far fetched, then think again. You'll be surprised to know that Chanel's boutique located at Salhiya Complex is currently selling several bags, that are a maximum 1 or 2 seasons old, on discount . And we're not talking about a 2 or 5% discount here, these bags are 50% off their original price! For some reason I always thought that Chanel bags never go on sale. But I guess the printed ones or the ones that are made out of the collection's main fabric have to go on sale. Anyways, I managed to take photos of these 2 beauties. What I love about those bags is that they're a classic shape that never goes out of style, their print is young and refreshing, plus they're quilted. I think they could be a collector's item. Both bags featured here are sold for approximately KD 250 .