Skip to main content

How I Learned to Stop Fearing and Love Exotic Art

So I have finally managed to visit "How I Learned to Stop Fearing and Love Exotic Art" exhibition which was held at the Contemporary Art Platform warehouse. The exhibition is organized by JAMM, an independent art advisory, and curated by Ali Bakhtiari. And it showcases the use of Arabic text in contemporary Arab and Iranian art using various  mediums such as photography, mixed media, light installation, jewelry and more. So let's take a quick virtual tour of my favorite pieces, starting with these marvelous rings designed by Kuwaiti artist Fareed Abdal. What I loved about his designs is that the rings look so raw and sculptured as opposed to what we normally see when arabic caligraphy is used. And of course some letters look nicer than others but all in all I really liked them. Unfortunately, the size of the ring was big but the admin at the exhibition informed me that I can pre-order one to fit my size and that the ring is priced at KD 10o. A reasonable price for a piece of art to wear everyday. 

A beautiful acrylic on canvas piece titled The Last Supper by artist Katya Traboulsi

Babel by Katya Traboulsi

I have seen a lot of great work by Kuwaiti artist Amira Behbehani previously but this piece titled The Journey has to be my absolute favorite from the artist's work.  It is HUUUGE and I love the fact that it has so many tiny interesting details if you look closely, like the lady below.   

Loved the humor on this Photo by Hassan Hajjaj. Notice the designer logos? Chanel, Prada, Gucci...

Check out the frames used for Hassan Hajjaj's photos

Embroidery on velvet by artist Imad Raad which reads: Our cow doesn't milk but pisses plenty

Green neon light installation titled The Garden by artist Shezad Dawood



Comments

Anonymous said…
Omg those rings are beyond gorgeous! Are they to be sold?

So in love with the contemporary art of ayat qur'2anyah, I can imagine such a thing would look lovely in a home garden.

Thank you confashion for this delightful post.
Confashion said…
Anonymous
Yes and they're priced at KD 100.
:)

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading the post :)

Popular posts from this blog

Marie Claire Kuwait

Did you know that Marie Claire, an international women's magazine, has been launched in Kuwait and their second issue is already in newsstands? Winner of the Best Women's Magazine and Magazine of the Year award for 2005, the magazine reportedly has over 14 million readers worldwide with 26 editions in 13 languages across the world. Marie Clair - Kuwait is in Arabic of course. The magazine offers an editorial mix of journalism with glamour, fashion and beauty coverage, and feature stories of lifestyle and serious women related issues. All by an Arabic editorial team. Have you read it? If yes, what do you think of it?

Win a TopShop Shopping Spree with Confashions from Kuwait!

How would you like to win a TOPSHOP shopping spree with me? Well my fashion-loving readers, save the date, we are going shopping... together! TOPSHOP is offering one seriously lucky ConfashionsfromKuwit.com reader a TOPSHOP shopping spree worth US$500, and I'll be helping the winner with what to buy and simply giving the winner a quick wardrobe overhaul.   To enter the competition, all you have to do is: Like  TOPSHOP Middle East on Facebook here Follow them on Twitter @Topshop_ME   Leave a comment on this post with your name and e-mail address See?! It's as easy as 1,2,3! A winner will be selected and announced on Tuesday September 16th . 

Chanel Bags on Discount?!

If you thought that getting a cheap Chanel bag that's within your budget is something too far fetched, then think again. You'll be surprised to know that Chanel's boutique located at Salhiya Complex is currently selling several bags, that are a maximum 1 or 2 seasons old, on discount . And we're not talking about a 2 or 5% discount here, these bags are 50% off their original price! For some reason I always thought that Chanel bags never go on sale. But I guess the printed ones or the ones that are made out of the collection's main fabric have to go on sale. Anyways, I managed to take photos of these 2 beauties. What I love about those bags is that they're a classic shape that never goes out of style, their print is young and refreshing, plus they're quilted. I think they could be a collector's item. Both bags featured here are sold for approximately KD 250 .