Skip to main content

Event: Class of Chairs 2013


A few weeks ago I passed by a design exhibition, titled Class of Chairs 2013, by Interior and Spatial Designer Aseel Alyaqoub, Architect and Digital artist Jassim Alsaddah, and Architect Yousef Almehdari. The exhibition was held at Contemporary Art Platform Gallery in Shuwaikh. 

On my way to the exhibition I honestly didn't know what to expect, I assumed it was just another exhibition exploring new elements of pure chair design. I didn't expect it to be an exhibition where they actually linked chair design with serious social psychological issues within our community in a very light-hearted and cleaver way. 

I met with one of the creative brains behind Class of Chairs, Jassim Al Saddah, who happens to be my cousin too and I'm extremely proud of his creativity and talent. Jassim explained to me that Class of Chairsis a sarcastic commentary on the stereotypical characters found within school life, the representation of the high school hierarchy and social groups found in playgrounds and classrooms.

The collection of chairs is a literal adaptation of the different student typecasts found in schools in Kuwait. Each chair represents an individual high school persona, where the character’s attributes are translated in the design aspect of its material and functional use.

As I walked pass each and every chair, I started to recall nostalgic scenes of school memories. And I thought to myself, this does not only applies to school life, this applies to life in general, whether at family/friends gatherings, work, or anywhere basically. It managed to create a relatable experience to each and every visitor. Let me walk you through some of my favorite chairs...

The "Nerd" chair

 The "Hairy Guy" chair 

The "Goody two shoes" chair 

 The "Teacher's Pet" chair

 The "Attention Seeker" chair and boy we have a lot of those in Kuwait!

The "One... that everybody used to hate for no apparent reason"... sad but funny!

The "Cheap Skate" 

 The "Hippie" chair... 

The schizophrenic: "I will never get bored of myself." 

That's me chatting with my cousin. Thank you Yousef Al Ibrahim for taking this photo.

 The Perv: "Right click, save image as...."

The "Heart Breaker": "It wasn't me...."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marie Claire Kuwait

Did you know that Marie Claire, an international women's magazine, has been launched in Kuwait and their second issue is already in newsstands? Winner of the Best Women's Magazine and Magazine of the Year award for 2005, the magazine reportedly has over 14 million readers worldwide with 26 editions in 13 languages across the world. Marie Clair - Kuwait is in Arabic of course. The magazine offers an editorial mix of journalism with glamour, fashion and beauty coverage, and feature stories of lifestyle and serious women related issues. All by an Arabic editorial team. Have you read it? If yes, what do you think of it?

Win a TopShop Shopping Spree with Confashions from Kuwait!

How would you like to win a TOPSHOP shopping spree with me? Well my fashion-loving readers, save the date, we are going shopping... together! TOPSHOP is offering one seriously lucky ConfashionsfromKuwit.com reader a TOPSHOP shopping spree worth US$500, and I'll be helping the winner with what to buy and simply giving the winner a quick wardrobe overhaul.   To enter the competition, all you have to do is: Like  TOPSHOP Middle East on Facebook here Follow them on Twitter @Topshop_ME   Leave a comment on this post with your name and e-mail address See?! It's as easy as 1,2,3! A winner will be selected and announced on Tuesday September 16th . 

Chanel Bags on Discount?!

If you thought that getting a cheap Chanel bag that's within your budget is something too far fetched, then think again. You'll be surprised to know that Chanel's boutique located at Salhiya Complex is currently selling several bags, that are a maximum 1 or 2 seasons old, on discount . And we're not talking about a 2 or 5% discount here, these bags are 50% off their original price! For some reason I always thought that Chanel bags never go on sale. But I guess the printed ones or the ones that are made out of the collection's main fabric have to go on sale. Anyways, I managed to take photos of these 2 beauties. What I love about those bags is that they're a classic shape that never goes out of style, their print is young and refreshing, plus they're quilted. I think they could be a collector's item. Both bags featured here are sold for approximately KD 250 .