Skip to main content

Congratulations to our Fashion Designers

You've probably heard through friends or family that The Arab Women Awards took place last week at the Sheraton Hotel. Strangely, the event hardy received any coverage in the media. In fact, the only source which I found some info about the event was Kuwait Times. So I thought I'd spread the news even more and share it here on my blog, especially that two Kuwaiti designers from the fashion field were honored: Mrs. Souad J A Al-Sabah and Ms. Sara Al Ateeqi of Qumar 14, whom I have previously featured her lovely work on my blog.

Mrs. Souad J A Al-Sabah of Sirdab 6 won the Fashion Award for being the first Kuwaiti to transform the traditional Dara’a (caftan) into a modern day caftan. Her designs usually sell out within 15-20 minutes flat! So definitely her award is well deserved. It is worth mentioning that, Lebanese designer Zuhair Murad came to Kuwaiti specifically to hand Mrs. Al-Sabah the award, as seen in the photo above.
The Arab Woman Awards have to-date recognized the achievement of over 100 Arab women and are now held in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar and Kuwait. The event's main mission is to celebrate the accomplishments of women who have achieved in the fields of art, entrepreneurship, fashion, medicine and charity. In addition to the above-mentioned winners, the following are the remaining ones:
  • Sarah Akbar, Businesswoman of the Year
  • Dr Badria Al-Awadi, Education
  • Shurooq Amin, Art
  • Farida Sultan, Art
  • Bibi Mubarak Al-Sabah and Nouf Al- Motawa, Entrepreneurs
  • Dr Najma Idris, Literature
  • Professor Noura Al- Sweih, Medical
  • Maha Al-Barges, Humanitarian
  • Faye Sultan, Sports
  • Lulwa Al-Shamlan, Young Talent
  • Fareah Al-Saqaf, Inspirational Arab Woman of the Year
  • Ruqayah Abdulwahab Alqatami, Lifetime Achievement
  • Badriayh Saud Mohamed Al-Sabah, Special Recognition
I would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate Ms. Maha Al-Barges, whom I know personally. She is a hard-working and dedicated woman to humanitarian issues and has a genuine and heart-warming soul. Well deserved. 


*Photo credit Kuwait Times


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marie Claire Kuwait

Did you know that Marie Claire, an international women's magazine, has been launched in Kuwait and their second issue is already in newsstands? Winner of the Best Women's Magazine and Magazine of the Year award for 2005, the magazine reportedly has over 14 million readers worldwide with 26 editions in 13 languages across the world. Marie Clair - Kuwait is in Arabic of course. The magazine offers an editorial mix of journalism with glamour, fashion and beauty coverage, and feature stories of lifestyle and serious women related issues. All by an Arabic editorial team. Have you read it? If yes, what do you think of it?

Win a TopShop Shopping Spree with Confashions from Kuwait!

How would you like to win a TOPSHOP shopping spree with me? Well my fashion-loving readers, save the date, we are going shopping... together! TOPSHOP is offering one seriously lucky ConfashionsfromKuwit.com reader a TOPSHOP shopping spree worth US$500, and I'll be helping the winner with what to buy and simply giving the winner a quick wardrobe overhaul.   To enter the competition, all you have to do is: Like  TOPSHOP Middle East on Facebook here Follow them on Twitter @Topshop_ME   Leave a comment on this post with your name and e-mail address See?! It's as easy as 1,2,3! A winner will be selected and announced on Tuesday September 16th . 

Chanel Bags on Discount?!

If you thought that getting a cheap Chanel bag that's within your budget is something too far fetched, then think again. You'll be surprised to know that Chanel's boutique located at Salhiya Complex is currently selling several bags, that are a maximum 1 or 2 seasons old, on discount . And we're not talking about a 2 or 5% discount here, these bags are 50% off their original price! For some reason I always thought that Chanel bags never go on sale. But I guess the printed ones or the ones that are made out of the collection's main fabric have to go on sale. Anyways, I managed to take photos of these 2 beauties. What I love about those bags is that they're a classic shape that never goes out of style, their print is young and refreshing, plus they're quilted. I think they could be a collector's item. Both bags featured here are sold for approximately KD 250 .