Skip to main content

The Deadly Collaboration Of Roberto Cavalli and H&M

WARNING: the following post contains politically incorrect language and offensive photos. Do NOT read if you value your impeccable high style standards or if you’re a born-again Audrey Hepburn.

Ever since I got sucked into the fashion world, I was never wild about Roberto Cavalli’s creations. I was vocal in my disgust that even if (and that’s a BIG IF) I saw a Cavalli item that looked decent, I would never admit it. I wouldn’t want my BFF to hold anything against me!! I’d just shrug my shoulders, give her the “Who-would-actually-buy-THAT?!” look and move along.

So imagine my shock when first heard of the collaboration between H&M and Roberto Cavalli. Welcome to Tackyville. What’s even more surprising are the marketing initiatives which has given so much press exposure and thousands of KDs on something that’s not worth all that hype.

Anyways, to cut a long story short, I went to H&M to check the so-called “hit” collection only to find out that the collection has been sold out within 3 days of releasing it. 3 days ONLY! And what was left were single 4-5 hideous pieces featured here on this post which are now on their way to Dubai to be stocked and re-sent to factory (Why would anyone want to do that!!!!)

So I asked the friendly salesman to show me the remaining pieces before they get sent, just to quench my curiosity. He went to staff’s private room and showed me the pieces. The first thing I said to myself was “Those H&M guys must be laughing all the way to the bank for fooling people to buy that Cavalli crap!!”.

The designs are not different from what you always see in any cheap high-street chains. The quality of the material used and the stitching is beyond terrible. And the pricing is simply ridicules. The only item that was OK was the white tuxedo jacket which was also featured in Elle magazine (November issue). However, it still didn’t look all-that in real life. Here, you be the judge.








Bottom line, never let the media misguide you on what’s hip and stylish. Always trust your sense of style and use it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
shocking, but there is obviously a market for that....
This Lady said…
They were sold out all over the world! Especially in Europe.

Anyway there's a lot of demand for "tacky" clothing if u havent noticed!
Anonymous said…
actually confashions,
i used to think like you. i used to be appalled by Cavalli main line full stop... only until couple seasons ago when he started doing some cute flowy tunics that work extremely well dressed down in the summer teamed with some alaia sandal flats..
so when H&M decided do a collab i thought "great". obviously quality will never be great. thats just H&M and what one should expect for the price. but i believe the low price point IS the whole point of this. Roberto wants to obviously reach out to e v e r y o n e.
i wouldnt mind the tunic made for the collab and i (not tooo shyly) can admit that. i dont mind it sitting next to my david szeto and derek lam in my wardrobe :)
does that make me tacky? i wouldnt say so. but im surely confident with my style...
now if only i could find one!!!

;)
NewQ8 Bride said…
wooow baradat galbee cuz it seems that not only me elee knt mkhtr3aa mn el collection i am telling some frinds it is not worth it
joy said…
well confashion u have to admit cavalli is the new wave now
he is making dersses that fit evry body
thin
pregnant
full figured
bitchy(sorry)

i gusse that what people want and now he went for the very reasonable prices and the most wanted shop in the world h&m

so he knows whats hes doing
and as long as u keep ur dignity and great taste of fashion fear nothing my love elegent people are special and unique

viva confashion
FourMe said…
You like fashion but don't like Roberto Cavalli?! Its like being a drug addict but at the same time your saying you hate drugs!
Of all I thought the least you would like his work to appreciate his intricate designs and fine detailing, as mentioned above specially his latest designs.

Well regarding his H&M collection there had to be some good pieces seeing they were sold out! it can't be that all the people that bought the items all over the world had no taste and were tacky. Or do you think they are?

Sorry couldn't let you bash Cavalli while I stay quite .. a true fashionista wouldn't let it pass by ;) at the end of the day we are discussing a Major designer and his art work ..
Confashion said…
anonymous
Yup.. and I think most people were after the name, not the design or the quality.

this lady
I know.. I think a big part of it being sold out is because of all the media hype.

anonymous
But the problem was that the Cavalli collection for H&M was not cheap at all compared to the usual H&M pricing. And that's why I was shocked. One of the dresses was being sold for KD 70! I wouldn't want to spend THAT much on an H&M dress.

As long as you're confident with your style, that's what really matters :)

new bride
Did you get to see the entire collection?

joy
I guess this is his way of reaching the masses! :P

W
Being a fashion addict does not dictate that I have to like every designer there is. Yes, I do appreciate some of the efforts in his "runway" designs as I mentioned in my post's intro, but I just can't force myself to like him.

And by all means, feel free to say whatever you feel like saying on my blog. That's the whole purpose of a Fashionistas' discussion ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Hackett Now Open in Kuwait

For all you guys who love Polo & Tommy, you’ll be thrilled to know that British Brand Hackett is now open in Kuwait at The Avenues (Phase II). The home of authentic British Menswear and style, Hackett , has a worldwide reputation for producing high quality, unique and distinctive, menswear and kid’s clothing. Hackett’s clothes offer a selection of formal wear including dinner jackets, business clothing such as ties, suits, shirts and trousers, smart casual, rugby shirts, designer polo shirts to accessories including belts, scarves, wallets, and travel bags. And here's an interesting fact, Hackett is the Official Clothing Partner of the Aston Martin Racing . So you will also find Limited edition 'Aston Martin Racing by Hackett' products available in store. These Aston Martin Racing products make ideal gifts for Formula 1 racing fan, or an Aston Martin owner.

Saks In Bahrain

I went to Saks Fifth Avenue store in Bahrain. The two-level store is located in City Centre Mall and has a collection of American and international clothes designers for Men and Women as well as jewelry, accessories, handbags, fragrances, cosmetics, intimate apparel, bridal, and children's apparel. However, I was slightly disappointed by the small selection, maybe because all items were on sale? Or the number and variety of brands were limited? Anyhow, my favourite section at Saks - Bahrain was Saks's world-famous 10022-SHOE salon (shown in the photo below). It had the same look & feel of the NY's shoe salon but of course not the same space. The Shoe Salon had really nice selection and they were all on sale! I have been told by Saks Sales Assistant that they will be hosting numerous special events throughout the year such as fashion shows and personal appearances by designers. Now that's something I'd be interested in! In addition, they currently offer in-st

Event: Villa Moda Movenpick Luxury Sale

The Villa Moda Movenpick Luxury Sale is an event all savvy shoppers and bargain hunters look forward to as it's a chance to get the best deals from the most wanted designer labels. The sale will showcase clothes and accessories from Spring/Summer 2008 collection and some going back to Fall 2007 collection (and even older). Believe me when I tell you there are some real bargains as all items will discounted with a whopping 60% or more. The event will start tomorrow Saturday and will be open to the public 10 AM to 10 PM. And all throughout Ramadan from 10 AM until 2 PM and from 7:30 PM until 12:30 AM. The women’s section will be in a tent just outside the Mövenpick. As for men’s, it will be in the Villa Moda Shuwaikh warehouse just behind the building. Signs are displayed for directions. You better be quick and go and grab all you want in the very first days before the good stuff/sizes are gone.